Friday, September 14, 2012

An M&Ms

I turned on the television today and there was an M&Ms commercial  on.  It featured Ms. Brown, the bespectacled attractive all-chocolate M&M, on a lunch al fresco date with a handsome man with, what seems like, a generic European accent.  The narrative of the commercial seems to suggest  he is younger, but how old does an M&M get?  A man in his twenties is, I assume, ancient to the average M&M.  They were having a fight about the superficiality of his love for her because he said that she looked "delicious today."  She rolls her eyes and says "Honestly.  Sometimes I think you only like me because I'm and M&M's."  I always thought that a bag of M&M's contained M&M after delicious M&M, and that's still what makes linguistic sense to me.   As in, "try at least one coconut M&M.  You will be pleasantly surprised." And plural: "I just ate a whole bag of peanut M&Ms for lunch."  Would the plural of an M&Ms be pronounced em-an-em-zis?

I now know that Forrest Mars, Sr. patented the candy coated chocolates after "a visit to Spain during the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930s.  He'd encountered soldiers eating pellets of chocolate encased in a hard sugary coating which prevented them from melting.  And I know that Mars teamed up with the son of the president of Hershey's (a strategic move in chocolate ration World War Two America), Bruce Murrie, and that M. & M.'s pill-sized taste explosions were given exclusively to the military during the war.  My apologies to anybody who read the wikipedia page and realizes how much uncited direct quotation was involved there.  But aren't I just using the agreed upon best descriptors for the fact of the matter if its from wikipedia?  Wikipedia called them pellets after citing the Old Newark Memories site without quotes because pellets is the perfect word.  

This notion, however, goes contrary to the point I am trying to make: it is, obviously, in fact "an M&M's,"however, that sounds fucking ridiculous and, no matter how much I learn facts about the candy-covered chocolate pellets I will never say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment